Thursday, November 29, 2007

A journal entry from one of my Protestant Missionary Heroes

"Psalms 104:4 - 'He makes His ministers a flame of fire'. Am I ignitable? God deliver me from the dread asbestos of "other things." Saturate me with the oil of the Spirit that I may be a flame. But flame is transient, often short-lived. Canst thou bear this, my soul, short life? In me there dwells the Spirit of the Great Short-Lived, whose zeal for God's house consumed Him, and He has promised baptism with the Spirit and with Fire. 'Make me Thy fuel, flame of God.'"

Jim Elliot
July 7, 1948
as recorded in The Journals of Jim Elliot


Oh to have a heart after God like Jim Elliot did! I still love this man, even in spite of his anti-Catholicism. I don't know what to think of him and many of my Protestant heroes now that I'm Catholic. Are they in Purgatory? Heaven? Hell (because of their anti-Catholicism)? I don't know. I pray for their souls and trust them to the God of mercy who will not treat them or anyone unjustly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd say, *almost* certainly not hell. And the "almost" is because only the Lord really knows.