Thursday, March 13, 2008

Oh! I DO remember something!

I think everyone who reads my blog knows I struggle with the fact that I'm into guys. If not, you know now. This next sentence will not seem to be related to the previous sentences, but it really is: I was reading an interview with Anne Rice (I believe it was in Christianity Today magazine) about her novel, Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. CT has archived the article, so I'm not sure this is the right one. In the interview, she mentioned, and I'm paraphrasing horribly, that she didn't "disown" her previous works because they were her method of working the darkness out of her life. I've thought about writing a story, perhaps novel length, entirely for my own amusement, about a couple of twenty-something guys who are lovers but become chaste Catholics. There would be graphic sexual "scenes" in the work. This way I could work out my sexual feelings and my intellectual and emotional crises in story-form. I'm not sure I'll actually make the attempt, but am giving it serious consideration. I could follow David Shaner's lead and publish it in small installments online (David has two "series" on his blog). What have you, my reading public, to say about this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think this is a good idea, Woodrow. You don't want to be providing an occasion for sin for your readers. The premise, minus the graphic sexual content, seems to me to have some potential, but the risk of voyeurism seems very great. Do recall the need to practice modesty.

"With God's grace [the baptized] will prevail ... by purity of vision, ... by refusing all complicity in impure thoughts that incline us to turn aside from the path of God's commandments... [Modesty] means refusing to unveil what should remain hidden. It is ordered to chastity to whose sensitivity it bears witness... [Modesty] keeps silence or reserve where there is evident risk of unhealthy curiosity." (CCC 2520-2527)

doughboy said...

What Sheepcat said. Not to mention that once it's out there on the net, it's out there, and you can't take it back. What if you work through your issues this way & then are blessed with such modesty & compunction that you wish no one knew about this, out of humility? Well you can't take it back. I have scrap books of my life from 1984 - 1998, and I'm seriously considering destroying the latter years because they contain some seriously unchaste stuff from when I was living the gay deathstyle. I don't want it around for posterity (read: nieces/nephews).