Saturday, August 2, 2008

Some of my Favorite Links...

...None of which are in the side bar.

I thought you might enjoy a little excursion into the weirdness of my web-browsing habits. These are web sites I visit occasionally for fun, information, etc.

Brickfilms - Movies made with LEGOs! Highly recommended: The Gauntlet and The Barber of Seville.

Reasons to Believe - an Old Earth Creationist web site. Much more intelligent, trustworthy, and informative than Young Earth Creationists. (I mistrust Young Earth Creation "scientists" because most of them seem to be Fundamental Baptists, and, having been raised as a Fundamental Baptist, I know how many lies and how much mis-information is spread in such circles.)

Johannesen Printing and Publishing - If you know anything about C.S. Lewis, you know who George MacDonald is, and you can purchase e-books or leather bound editions of all MacDonald's books here. (I've yet to do so, although I've had this site bookmarked for years!)

Project Gutenberg - Free e-books. Thousands of them, all in the public domain and downloadable to your computer.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church online!

Frederica Mathewes-Green - My favorite Orthodox author and journalist. I highly recommend her essay "From Agnostic to Christian".

Father James V. Schall of Georgetown University - Called by some "the modern day Chesterton". See also this link.

The Official Peter Kreeft web site - 'nuff said, I think.

A Hypertext Book of Hours - Catholic Devotions from the Middle Ages.

The Cyberhymnal - Protestant hymns complete with lyrics and MIDI files.

The Pontificate of John Paul II
- a great tribute to John Paul II at the Hol See's web site.

Starship Exeter - A fan version of Star Trek. It takes them for ever to get new episodes out, but they're worth the wait. These are people who created this series for fun. Their special effects are pretty cool. As you watch Act Two of the episode The Tressaurian Intersection, pay attention to the beam-out/beam-in. Her shadow dissolves and reappears with her!

How Many Countries can You Name in Five Minutes?

Rooibos tea from South Africa - I once made the acquaintance of an au pair from South Africa working here in the U.S. She told me Americans don't know what real tea is, and she made me a cup of Rooibos. It is quite delicious!

LaserMonks
- an order of Cistercian Monks that sells computer equipment and accessories, as well as more traditional items, for the support of their abbey and other charities. Great deals, great deeds!

Jimmy Akin on Genesis chapter One
- good insight, I think.

Avery Cardinal Dulles on the Population of Hell
- something we modern Catholics need to seriously consider.

N.T. Wright's home page!

Cool Websites, Software, and Internet tips.

That's all for now, folks.

Enjoy!

No comments: