Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Scriptural Rosary continued: The Second Joyful Mystery.

Review here and here. Another review here, along with the first Joyful mystery.

Let us pray the second Joyful Mystery.


Again, we are not using rosary beads. That's because some of the Scripture passages I use for the Scriptural rosary contain more than or fewer than ten verses. I use the rosary to help me memorize Scripture, so I lengthen or shorten the number of Hail Mary's accordingly.


Announce the mystery by saying:
"The second Joyful Mystery: Mary visits Elizabeth."


Now, pray one Our Father followed by these Hail Marys with their Bible verses.*


Our Father…


And Mary arose in those days and went into the hill country with haste, into a city of Judah,
(Luke 1:39 TMB)**
Hail Mary

and entered into the house of Zechariah and saluted Elisabeth.
(Luke 1:40 TMB)
Hail Mary…

And it came to pass, when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost.
(Luke 1:41 TMB)
Hail Mary…

And she spoke out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb.
(Luke 1:42 TMB)
Hail Mary…


"And why is it granted to me that the mother of my Lord should come to me?
(Luke 1:43 TMB)
Hail Mary…

"For lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.
(Luke 1:44 TMB)
Hail Mary…

"And blessed is she who^ believed; for there shall be a fulfillment of those things which were told her from the Lord."
(Luke 1:45 TMB)
Hail Mary…

And Mary said, "My soul magnifies the Lord,
(Luke 1:46 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
(Luke 1:47 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"for He has looked on the humble estate of His servant. For behold, from now on all generations will call me blessed;
(Luke 1:48 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"for He who is mighty has done great things for me, and holy is His Name.
(Luke 1:49 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"And His mercy is for those who fear Him from generation to generation.
(Luke 1:50 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts. (Luke 1:51 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"He has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate;
(Luke 1:52 ESV)

"He has filled the hungry with good things, and the rich He has sent empty away.
(Luke 1:53 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy,
(Luke 1:54 ESV)
Hail Mary…

"as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his offspring for ever."
(Luke 1:55 ESV)
Hail Mary…

Now pray the Glory Be:

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

To close, make the sign of the cross. (In a future post, I'll list the full closing prayers of the rosary.)

*In a traditional rosary, one prays 10 Hail Mary's, called a decade, but here we are praying 1 or 2 Bible verses per 1 Hail Mary. This yields a "decade" of 17.


**My favorite Bible version is the Third Millennium Bible. I do most of my memorizing out of it, but occasionally I memorize a Scripture verse or passage in another version (e.g. because I have an audio recording I listen to often wherein a passage or verse is quoted in another version of the Bible), which is why there's a switch from the TMB to the ESV here.

^The TMB actually reads "that believed".

1 comment:

Random GCruiser said...

This is cool. Thanks for posting.