Saturday, August 2, 2014

My Daily Prayer Rule, Pt. 1

I found a Rule of Prayer that many of our Eastern Rite and Eastern Orthodox brethren use every day. I adapted the Morning Rule for my own uses, and offer the original here as a tool others mat use to organize their prayer life. Pt. 2 (found here) is my adaptation of the rule, to give ideas on how it can be used for one's own purposes.


The Sign of the Cross
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 

Opening Prayers
Glory be to Thee, O our God, glory be to Thee! 

O heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art everywhere present and fillest all things, the Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life, come and abide in us, cleanse us from all impurity, and of Thy goodness, save our souls.*

Holy God. Holy Mighty. Holy Immortal. Have mercy on us. (3 times) 

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. 

Most holy Trinity, have mercy upon us. O Lord, cleanse us from our sins. O Master, pardon our iniquities. O Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities, for Thy name's sake. 

Lord, have mercy. (3 times)

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in Heaven: hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. 

Arising from sleep I thank Thee, O holy Trinity, that, for the sake of Thy great kindness and long-suffering, Thou wast not wroth with me, slothful and sinful as I am; neither hast Thou destroyed me in my transgressions: but in Thy compassion hast raised me up, as I lay in despair; that at dawn I might sing the glories of Thy Majesty. Do Thou  now enlighten the eyes of my understanding. Open my mouth to receive Thy words. Teach me Thy commandments. Help me to do Thy will, confessing Thee from my heart, singing and praising Thine all-holy Name: of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen. 

The Creed
I believe in one God, 
the Father almighty, 
maker of heaven and earth, 
of all things visible and invisible. 
  
I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Only Begotten Son of God, 
born of the Father before all ages. 
God from God, Light from Light, 
true God from true God, 
begotten, not made, 
consubstantial with the Father; 
through Him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation 
He came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, 
and became man.

For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate, 
He suffered death and was buried, 
and rose again on the third day 
in accordance with the Scriptures. 
He ascended into heaven 
and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 
He will come again in glory 
to judge the living and the dead 
and His kingdom will have no end. 
  
I believe in the Holy Spirit, 
the Lord, the giver of life, 
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son], 
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, 
who has spoken through the prophets. 
  
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. 
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins 
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead 
and the life of the world to come. 
Amen.

Psalms
Monday – Psalm 3
Tuesday – Psalm 38
Wednesday – Psalm 63
Thursday – Psalm 88
Friday – Psalm 103
Saturday – Psalm 143
Sunday – all the above psalms

Followed by Psalm 51 every day

Commemoration of the Living
Remember, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, Thy mercies and compassions which have been from everlasting, and for the sake of which Thou didst become man and deign to endure crucifixion and death for the salvation of all who rightly believe in Thee. Thou didst rise from the dead and ascend into the heavens and sittest on the right hand of God the Father, and regardest the humble prayers of all who call upon Thee with their whole heart. Incline Thine ear, and hearken to the humble entreaty of me, Thine unprofitable servant, who offer it for an odor of a spiritual savor for all Thy people. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

And first, remember Thy One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, which Thou hast purchased through Thy precious Blood. Confirm and strengthen it. Enlarge and multiply it. Keep it in peace and preserve it unconquerable by the gates of Hell forever. Heal the schism of the Churches. Quench the ragings of the heathen. Speedily undo and root out the growths of heresy, and bring them to naught by the power of Thy Holy Spirit. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon our president/king/queen and all in authority throughout the world. Speak peace and blessing in their hearts for Thy holy Church and for all Thy peoples, that we may live a calm and tranquil life, enjoying the right belief and all virtuous and godly living. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon the most holy ecumenical patriarchs, the most reverend metropolitans, the archbishops and bishops, the priests and deacons, and the whole clergy of Thy Church, which Thou hast established to feed the flock of Thy Word, and by their prayers have mercy upon me, and save me, a sinner. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon our father (parish priest or abbot of monastery), with all his brethren in Christ, and by their prayers have mercy upon me, and save me, a sinner. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on my Spiritual Father N. (this is your spiritual director or regular confessor) and by his prayers forgive me my sins. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy on my parents (names), my brothers and sisters and all my relatives, the neighbors of my family, and our friends, and grant them Thy blessings both here and hereafter. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon the old and the young, the needy, the orphans, and the widows, and all who are in sickness and sorrow, in distress and affliction, in oppression and captivity, in prison and confinement, especially (N.). More especially have mercy upon Thy servants who are under persecution for Thy sake and for the sake of the True Faith at the hands of heathen nations, of apostates, and of heretics. Remember them, visit, strengthen, and comfort them, and make haste to grant them by Thy power relief, freedom, and deliverance. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon all who are sent on duty, all who travel, our fathers, brothers, and sisters, and upon all true Christians. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon those who envy and affront me and who do me mischief. Let them not perish through me, a sinner. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Enlighten by the light of Thy holy wisdom all those who depart from the True Faith, dazzled by destroying heresies, and unite them to Thy One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

I beg and beseech Thee, O Lord, grant to all who have gone astray a true knowledge of Thee, so that each and every one may come to know Thy glory. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Commemoration of the Dead
Remember, O Lord, those who have departed this life, Christian rulers, holy patriarchs, most reverend metropolitans, archbishops and bishops, and all who served Thee in the priesthood and ministry of the Church and in the monastic order; and grant them rest with Thy saints in Thy eternal habitations. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Remember, O Lord, the souls of Thy servants now fallen asleep, my (grandparents or parents), and all my kinsmen. Forgive them all their sins wittingly or unwittingly committed; grant them Thy kingdom, and a portion in Thy eternal blessings, and enjoyment of Thine unending life. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Grant, O Lord, to all who have gone before us in faith and in hope of the resurrection, remission of sins. Keep them in everlasting remembrance, and place them with Thy saints, where shineth the light of Thy countenance, for Thou art gracious and lovest mankind. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

In the case of all who have passed from this world lacking a virtuous life or having had no faith or having not believed the True Faith, be an advocate for them, Lord, for the sake of the body which Thou didst take from them, so that from the single united body of the world we may offer up praise to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the kingdom of heaven, an unending source of eternal delight. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.)

Prayer at the Beginning of the Day
O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely upon Thy holy will. In every hour of the day reveal Thy will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that cometh to me throughout the day with peace of soul, and with firm conviction that Thy will governeth all. In all my deeds and words guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events let me not forget that all are sent by Thee. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray, pray Thou Thyself in me. Amen. (Bow deeply from the waist.) 

Prayer to the Guardian Angel
O holy angel that standeth by my wretched soul and my passionate life, forsake me not, a sinner, nor shrink from me because of mine intemperance. Give no place for the cunning demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body, strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation. Yea, O holy angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body, forgive me all wherein I have offended thee all the days of my life; and if I have sinned during the past night, protect me during the present day, and guard me from every temptation of the enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin. And pray to the Lord for me, that He may establish me in His fear, and show me, His servant, to be worthy of His goodness. Amen.

Prayer to the Patron Saint 
O saint of God, (N.), pray to God for me, for my home, and my family. Amen.

Benediction 
It is very meet and right to call thee blessed, who didst bring forth God, ever blessed and most pure and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the cherubim, more glorious than the seraphim, who without spot didst bear the Eternal Word, thee, very Mother of God, we laud and magnify. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

O Lord  Jesus Christ, the Son of God, for the sake of the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, of Saint Joseph the Betrothed, and of all Thy saints, have mercy upon us, and save us, for Thou art a merciful God, and lovest mankind. Amen.  

The Sign of the Cross
In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.




*From Pascha (Easter) to the Ascension, instead of the "Heavenly King:, pray: 
Christ hath risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life! 3 times 

From the Ascension to its leavetaking, pray: 
Thou hast ascended in glory, O Christ our God, bringing joy to Thy disciples, for Thou didst reassure them through Thy blessing of the promise of the Holy Spirit, for Thou art the Son of God, the Redeemer of the world. 

On the Saturday before Pentecost, omit "Heavenly King" and go directly to "Holy God, Holy Mighty…"

No comments: