Saturday, August 2, 2014

My Daily Prayer Rule, Pt. 2

See Part 1 here.

Words and symbols in red indicate an action to perform.
+ : make the sign of the cross.
^ : bow your head.
& : bow deeply from the waist or kneel or prostrate yourself for a few seconds. Do whatever is comfortable for you. This is to engage your body in prayer, and to teach it humility.

Words in green italics offer explanations.

The word "catholic" when spelled with a lower-case "c" means all those Churches which have valid Holy Orders and sacraments, as explained in this post.

1) I numbered the prayers because I found it easier to memorize them this way.
Signum Crucis/The Sign of the Cross
In the name of the Father + and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 

2) 
Glory be to Thee, O our God, glory be to Thee! 

3)*
O heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art everywhere present and fillest all things, the Treasury of blessings, and Giver of life, come and abide in us, cleanse us from all impurity, and of Thy goodness, save our souls. 

4) 
Holy God. Holy Mighty. Holy Immortal. Have mercy on us. 3 times

5) Bow from "Glory" to "Spirit".
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. 

6) 
Most holy Trinity, have mercy upon us. O Lord, cleanse us from our sins. O Master, pardon our iniquities. O Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities, for Thy name's sake. 

7) 
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

8) Bow from "Glory" to "Spirit".
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.  

9) 
Pater Noster/The Lord's Prayer 
Sometimes I pray both the Latin and English, but usually just the English.
Pater noster, qui es in caelis: sanctificètur nomen tuum; advèniat regnum tuum; fiat volùntas tua, sicut in caelo, et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidiànum da nobis hòdie; et dimitte nobis debita nostra, sicut et nos dimìttimus debitòribus nostris; et ne nos indùcas in tentatiònem; sed libera nos a malo. Quia tuum est regnum, et potèstas, et glòria in sàecula. Amen. 

Our Father, who art in Heaven: hallowed be Thy name; Thy kingdom come; Thy will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. 

10)
Morning Prayer to the Holy Trinity
Arising from sleep I thank Thee, O holy Trinity, that, for the sake of Thy great kindness and long-suffering, Thou wast not wroth with me, slothful and sinful as I am; neither hast Thou destroyed me in my transgressions: but in Thy compassion hast raised me up, as I lay in despair; that at dawn I might sing the glories of Thy Majesty. Do Thou  now enlighten the eyes of my understanding. Open my mouth to receive Thy words. Teach me Thy commandments. Help me to do Thy will, confessing Thee from my heart, singing and praising Thine all-holy Name: of the Father + and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen. 

11)
Credo
The Nicene Creed 
I believe + in one God, 
the Father almighty, 
maker of heaven and earth, 
of all things visible and invisible. 
  
I believe in one Lord ^ Jesus Christ, 
the Only Begotten Son of God, 
born of the Father before all ages. 
God from God, Light from Light, 
true God from true God, 
begotten, not made, 
consubstantial with the Father; 
through Him all things were made.

For us men and for our salvation 
He came down from heaven,
&
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary, 
and became man.
Rise

For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate, 
He suffered death and was buried, 
and rose again on the third day 
in accordance with the Scriptures. 
He ascended into heaven 
and is seated at the right hand of the Father. 
He will come again in glory 
to judge the living and the dead 
and His kingdom will have no end. 
  
I believe in the Holy Spirit, 
the Lord, the giver of life, 
who proceeds from the Father [and the Son], 
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified, 
who has spoken through the prophets. 
  
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. 
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins 
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead 
and the life of the world to come. 
Amen. 

12) 
The Invitatory of the Liturgy of the Hours 
Make the sign of the cross over your lips while reciting "O Lord...lips".

V. O Lord, open Thou my lips, 
R. and my mouth shall show forth Thy praise. 

Recite antiphon**
Repeat antiphon 

This is the text of Psalm 95 as found in the New American Standard Bible (NASB), which is the version I used when I memorized this psalm. Use whatever version you like.

A song of praise of David.
The Masoretic text from which the NASB is translated does not include this title for the psalm. The title comes from the Septuagint.
O come, let ussing for joy to theLord, 
let us shout joyfully tothe rock of our salvation. 
Let uscome before His presencewiththanksgiving, 
let us shout joyfully to Himwithpsalms. 

Repeat antiphon 

For theLordis agreat God 
and a great Kingabove all gods, 
in whose hand are thedepths of the earth, 
the peaks of the mountains are His also. 
The sea is His, for it was Hewho made it, 
and His hands formed the dry land. 

Repeat antiphon 

& 
Come, let usworship and bow down, 
let uskneel before theLordourMaker. 
For He is our God, 
andwe are the people of Hispasture 
and the sheep of His hand. 
Rise

Repeat antiphon 

Today,if you would hear His voice, 
do not harden your hearts, as atMeribah, 
As in the day ofMassah in the wilderness, 
When your fatherstested Me, 
they tried Me, though they had seen My work. 

Repeat antiphon 

Forforty years I loathedthatgeneration, 
and said, "They are a people who err in their heart, 
and they do not know My ways." 
Therefore Iswore in My anger, 
"Truly they shall not enter into Myrest." 

Repeat antiphon

Bow from "Glory" to "Spirit".
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Repeat antiphon 

13) 
Psalms 
I developed a guide that takes me through the entire book of Psalms in a month. It's here.

Commemoration of the Living 
14) 
Remember, O Lord ^ Jesus Christ our God, Thy mercies and compassions which have been from everlasting, and for the sake of which Thou didst become man and deign to endure crucifixion and death for the salvation of all who rightly believe in Thee. Thou didst rise from the dead and ascend into the heavens and sittest on the right hand of God the Father, and regardest the humble prayers of all who call upon Thee with their whole heart. Incline Thine ear, and hearken to the humble entreaty of me, Thine unprofitable servant, who offer it for an odor of a spiritual savor for all Thy people. Amen. &

15) 
And first, remember Thy One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, which Thou hast purchased through Thy precious Blood. Confirm and strengthen it. Enlarge and multiply it. Keep it in peace and preserve it unconquerable by the gates of Hell forever. Heal the schism of the Churches. Quench the ragings of the heathen. Speedily undo and root out the growths of heresy, and bring them to naught by the power of Thy Holy Spirit. Amen. &

16) 
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon all civil authorities at every level in every land, especially upon our president, (N.), upon our vice president, (N.), upon the members of the President's Cabinet, upon the governors and vice-governors of the several states and the members of their cabinets, upon the members of the federal and state Congresses, upon the justices of the Supreme, federal, state and civil courts, and upon all local authorities. May they be people of good character, integrity, and wisdom, and may they legislate, govern, and adjudicate according to the rule of law, and especially according to the rule of Thy eternal Law. Speak peace and blessing in their hearts for Thy holy Church and for all Thy peoples, that we may live a calm and tranquil life, enjoying the right belief and all virtuous and godly living. Amen. &

17) 
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon Pope (N.), the most holy ecumenical patriarchs, the most reverend metropolitans, the archbishops and bishops, the priests and deacons, and the whole clergy of Thy Church, which Thou hast established to feed the flock of Thy Word, and by their prayers have mercy upon me, and save me, a sinner. Amen. &

18) 
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon my grandparents (N.'s);  my parents, (N.'s); my siblings (N.'s); my [other family members] (N.'s),  and the rest of my kinsmen. Help us to love Thee with our heart, soul, mind, and strength. Call us to become Thy children and to seek the fullness of Thy truth. Bless us with good health, good friendships, and all our daily needs. Grant that we may grow in our love for each other, and serve Thee and each other in humility and gladness. Strengthen our marriages, and nurture our children. May we each search for Thee with all our heart, and ever trust in Thy great mercy. Deliver us from the power of sin and the fear of death, protect us from all harm and danger, and may Thy holy angels be ever watchful over us. Give unto us Thy grace that we may uproot every vice from our lives and grow in every virtue unto the glory of Thy great and holy name. Amen. &

19) 
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon all of my current and former friends, teachers, classmates, co-workers, fellow church members, neighbors, benefactors, and acquaintances, and all of their families, especially (N.'s) and grant them Thy blessings both here and hereafter. Amen. &

20)
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon the priests and spiritual directors who have assisted me in my faith, and their families, especially (N.'s) and grant them Thy blessings both here and hereafter. Amen. &

21) 
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon the old and the young, the needy, the orphans, and the widows, and all who are in sickness and sorrow, in distress and affliction, in oppression and captivity, in prison and confinement, especially (N.). Have mercy upon those who, though separated from Thy holy Church, are being persecuted because they have faith in ^ Jesus, especially (N.)***. More especially have mercy upon Thy servants who are under persecution for Thy sake and for the sake of the catholic faith at the hands of heathen nations, of apostates, and of heretics, especially (N.)****. Remember them, visit, strengthen, and comfort them, and make haste to grant them by Thy power relief, freedom, and deliverance. Amen. &

22) 
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon all who are sent on duty, especially (N.), all who travel, all who go as missionaries with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and upon all Christians. Amen. &

23)
Save, O Lord, and have mercy upon those who envy and affront my family and me and do or have done us mischief. Let them not perish through me, a sinner. Grant them conversion of heart, and grant that we may forgive them and seek their good. Amen. &
I intentionally do not include names here because I find that doing so feeds my anger towards these people, and makes forgiving them harder.

24)
Those who depart from the True Faith, dazzled by destroying heresies, those who are in schismatic faith communities and heretical sects, and all who are atheists, agnostics, or who follow or believe false religions or philosophies, do Thou enlighten by the light of Thy holy wisdom, and unite them to Thy One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. Amen. &

25) 
I beg and beseech Thee, O Lord, grant to all who have gone astray a true knowledge of Thee, so that each and every one may come to know Thy glory. Amen. &

Commemoration of the Dead 
26) 
Remember, O Lord, those who have departed this life, popes, Christian rulers, holy patriarchs, most reverend metropolitans, archbishops and bishops, and all who served Thee in the priesthood and ministry of the Church and in the monastic order; and grant them rest with Thy saints in Thy eternal habitations. Amen. &

27) 
Remember, O Lord, the souls of Thy servants now fallen asleep, especially my kinsmen (N.'s); my friends, acquaintances, and spiritual and material benefactors, especially (N.'s); the Catholics whose lives inspired and influenced me, especially (N.'s); the Protestants whose lives inspired and influenced me, especially (N.'s); the deceased members of Courage and EnCourage; and those who experienced homosexual attractions and struggled with or rebelled against the Christian faith, especially Oscar Wilde, Andy Warhol, and (N.'s); and the deceased family, friends, colleagues, and associates of all the above-mentioned people. Forgive them all their sins wittingly or unwittingly committed; grant them Thy kingdom, and a portion in Thy eternal blessings, and enjoyment of Thine unending life. Amen. &

29) 
Grant, O Lord, to all who have gone before us in faith and in hope of the resurrection, remission of sins. Keep them in everlasting remembrance, and place them with Thy saints, where shineth the light of Thy countenance, for Thou art gracious and lovest mankind. Amen. &

30) 
In the case of all who have passed from this world lacking a virtuous life or having had no faith or having not believed the True Faith, be an advocate for them, Lord, for the sake of the body which Thou didst take from them, so that from the single united body of the world we may offer up praise to Father, + Son, and Holy Spirit in the kingdom of heaven, an unending source of eternal delight. Amen. &

31) 
Prayer at the Beginning of the Day 
O Lord, grant me to greet the coming day in peace. Help me in all things to rely upon Thy holy will. In every hour of the day reveal Thy will to me. Bless my dealings with all who surround me. Teach me to treat all that cometh to me throughout the day with peace of soul, and with firm conviction that Thy will governeth all. In all my deeds and words guide my thoughts and feelings. In unforeseen events let me not forget that all are sent by Thee. Teach me to act firmly and wisely, as a man, without embittering and embarrassing others. Give me strength to bear the fatigue of the coming day with all that it shall bring. Direct my will, teach me to pray, pray Thou Thyself in me. Amen. &

32) 
Prayer to the Holy Guardian Angel 
Dear Angel, in His goodness God gave you to me to guide, protect, and enlighten me, and to bring me back to the right way when I go astray.  Encourage me when I am disheartened, and instruct me when I err in judgment.  Help me to become more Christ-like, and so some day to be accepted into the company of angels and saints in heaven. Amen. No more bows.

33) 
Prayers to the Patron Saint 
O saint of God, Joseph the Betrothed, pray to God for me, for my home, and my family. Amen. 

34) 
Pray to God for me, O Saint Joseph the Betrothed, well-pleasing to God, for I eagerly betake myself to thee, who art the speedy helper and intercessor for my soul. Amen. 

35) 
Benediction 
It is very meet and right to call thee blessed, who didst bring forth God, ever blessed and most pure and the Mother of our God. More honorable than the cherubim, more glorious than the seraphim, who without spot didst bear the Eternal Word, thee, very Mother of God, we laud and magnify. 

36) 
Bow from "Glory" to "Spirit".
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit; as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen. 

37) 
O Lord ^ Jesus Christ, the Son of God, for the sake of the prayers of Thy most pure Mother, of Saint Joseph the Betrothed, and of all Thy saints, have mercy upon us, and save us, for Thou art a merciful God, and lovest mankind. Amen.  

38) 
Signum Crucis/The Sign of the Cross 
In the name of the Father + and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen. 

*From Pascha to the Ascension, instead of the "Heavenly King", pray: 
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and upon those in the tombs bestowing life! 3 times 

*From the Ascension to its leavetaking, pray: 
Thou hast ascended in glory, O Christ our God, bringing joy to Thy disciples, for Thou didst reassure them through Thy blessing of the promise of the Holy Spirit, for Thou art the Son of God, the Redeemer of the world. 

*On the Saturday before Pentecost, omit "Heavenly King" and go directly to the Trisagion Prayer 

**Note on the antiphon: it changes depending on the day of the week and/or the season of the Church year and/or the feast day on the Church's calendar. In my daily prayers, I use this every day as the antiphon: "Today if you would hear His voice, do not harden your hearts" because I need the daily reminder to not harden my heart against the Holy Spirit.

*** I mention Pastor Saeed Abedini and his family, and was very glad to be able to take Meriam Ibrahim off this list!


**** I mention MetropolitansPaul Yazigi and Youhanna Ibrahim and the Christians of Syria and Iraq.

No comments: